It seems like everyone has developed some crazy opinion or side on the Chick-fil-A war and you know what, here’s my two cents:
- It’s not about the chicken. I love those little nuggets. I could eat them every single day while alternating sauces. I have nothing against the seasoning, cut oof meat, and definitely not the sauces.
- It’s the company and what they support. If the world were perfect, each and every company would stop becoming a bunch of moral hazard outlaws and just focus on how they can make their product better. Meaning, CFA would just focus on how they could get more of those little nuggets into my hands. However, we’re in a day in age where corporations run everything. You may think it’s people but no, it’s GE.
- Toss the “traditional family” and “sanctity of marriage” stuff out. For real, Kim Kardashian put the nail in the coffin with her 72 day marriage. There is no more sanctity of marriage. Marriage from the bible standpoint is basically the buying and selling of women. Traditional family? I know about 4 or 5 people that come from a tradition “mom & dad are happily married” home. The rest of my friends products of divorce, separation, remarriage, adoption, foster care, etc.
- Spend time loving not hating. If people spent half of the time that they do complaining, hating, lazily looking around for someone else to jump in, and devoted that towards going to a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, tutoring or mentoring a child, we wouldn’t have the same problems that we have to day. Judging by the line at CFA this past week, the line for volunteers at your local soup kitchen should be out the door. It’s not up to you to figure out how they got in that situation or if they’re really going to use your money or time wisely, it’s about trying. Maybe you’ll change 1 person’s life for the better and that will be enough.
- Spending millions of dollars in efforts to condemn people? Okay, try this for me. If you’re a game changer at a major corporation and you’re reading this, take $500 and donate it to an after school program in war zone that is the south side of Chicago. Take $1000 and donate it to an organization that helps mentor young women. Take $2000 and donate it to an organization that provides scholarships to college students. Take $3000 and donate it to an organization that helps homeless children and young adults. Take any and all of the money that you spend hating someone and throw it out the window.
Last but not least, let’s try something that I learned from the bible. “Treat other people as you would like to be treated.” ”Love one another as I have loved you.” That’s it. Those are the only two things that you should ever take away from that book. It’s not your place to condem how someone lives there life. It’s not even your place to hold judgment.
Disclaimer: I’m fully aware that there are hundreds of other companies that have the same homophobic beliefs. The issue is that there is TOO MUCH hate in the world for these large corporations to keep spreading it. We’re at a point when we desperately need to make a change and we have the power to change it. We need to start treating every single human being that has been placed on this earth equally and fairly. We need to foster love in one another.
I am so over the weather in Chicago. If it’s not a thunder storm that shakes your bones, it’s the humidity that starts an all out war with your naturally curly hair. I never thought I’d sit and pray for 80 degree weather or that I’d seriously contemplate turning my living room into a hot yoga studio (No, really. Remove the ottoman, close the windows, roll out the mats, and it would rival any bikram studio in town)
This is the summer where nobody won. Everyone is sunburned (thanks, African roots, for helping me avoid that one). I almost always look like Frizzy McFrizzikins when I leave the house. Fashion is just - i can’t even. My summer uniform has turned into dresses, maxi skirts, and simple jewelry. On the bright side, I’ve completely perfect how to stay cool in the summer when you don’t have A/C. Spoiler Alert: Drink water like your a f*ing fish and always remain within 10 inches of a fan.
So Chicago weather systems and lake effect, please take this as a kind suggestion, plea, prayer, notification, etc. I wouldn’t be upset if you decided to take the humidity down 10,000x notches, only storm around 3-5pm, and cool down to nice 75-80 degrees.
Rose of the Day
Singing this song a capella with Lauren during our slap happy moments at 10:30pm after 12 hours of moving drama. Moving in the city should be an olympic sport.
I would like to dedicate this song to ice cream, popsicles, winter, and just cold things in general right now.
I made my first post-grad-big-girl decision today of whether to leave or stay in Chicago. Guess what? I’m staying. I’m giving the city another year to work it’s magic on me. After that, who knows where the road will take me.
I feel like the next lesson that I’m about to learn/re-learn is about the people I surround myself with and how they contribute to my life. Also, a lesson about how I spend my time. I have all of this free time on my hands now and it’s amazing. I’m not counting down the days until I return to the office or preparing for school in the fall and it’s amazing. I want nothing more than to just enjoy life.
It’s mine and I’m in the drivers seat. Next stop?
Everyone so often one of those weekends comes around when you just put your hands up in the air and go, “Fuck it.” Well, I’m currently wrapping up one of those weekends. I’ve done almost nothing on my to do list, I’m heading to a inbox full of emails tomorrow at work, and I’m about to go take a nap instead of grocery shopping.
Here’s my weekend in a nutshell:
Went to Burger Bar for Dinner with Megan!
Went to a party for 4.5 minutes.
Came back to my house, had a few drinks, and watched Hulu.
I went to check up on all of the tour guides who had been dancing for 24 hours straight in order to raise money for Children’s memorial. The entire event was a huge success and they raised over $103,000 to donate to the hospital. AMAZING!
Next, I could not help but go downtown and play dress up for a few hours. I didn’t end up getting this outfit but I did get a cute new skirt from Loft.
After I was done shopping, Alaina called and asked if I wanted to get mani/pedis. I kindly agreed and we went to a nail salon in LPC that is byob. If you’re ever in the area, go to Polished - amazing service, ridiculously clean and up to code, and cute. Not that expensive either. The mani/pedi was $35 before tip.
Laine, in giggles during her pedi.
After that, Alaina and I decided to go out and it was amazing!
went to a cubs game
helped Chad pick out a hat
made some new friends
and we lost.
I hope your weekend was amazing! Happy Sunday!
So, today i woke up (surprise!) and got a call from my aunt. She said that the flight may/may not be delayed from cleveland to chicago. My reaction:
“I don’t care if I need to hop back to Chicago on a gd pogo stick, I am not spending another day here in Cleveland.”
Overdramatic? a tad. I mean, if you went from being able to have starbucks everyday at any point in your day to the land of no starbucks, championships, and overwhelming amount of poverty you’d be a little shell shocked too. It was totally going to be like that moment from Devil Wears Prada where she tries to rent Versace’s helicopter in order to get out of Miami where there is a torrential downpour/hurricane. I love my hometown. It’s where I grew up but it’s time for bigger and better things. When I’m there, all I can think about is how I wish I was somewhere else.
Somewhere with open windows, because my grandma is now on this thing where she won’t leave any windows open. I had to sneak my window in my room open but it didn’t help, it was still at least 95 degrees in my room. I died a slow death in heat exhaustion (overdramatic? probably).
Anyway, I’m back in Chicago and loving it. I’m heading out for dinner shortly with Jenn. She’s catching up on lost time right now by recording everything I say on Shit Kristian Says - Check it out! shitkristiansays.tumblr.com
i’m having starbucks withdrawal. there are like
2 starbucks make that 3 starbucks within a 10 minute…10 minute diameter of my house here in cleveland. I’m going through starbucks withdrawal and if you think i’m the only one, your wrong.
I thought I could stop at any time but I just can’t help but think about the feeling of a cool mocha-coconut frapuchino in my hands with soy milk, no whip, and those little chocolate and cocnut pieces. Is a carmel apple spice or vanilla latte too much to ask for?
I think it should be mandated that when you wake up to take your grandmother shopping (who by the way spent 6 minutes deciding what kind of cheese she wanted to get) there she be a starbucks located in every single store.
Also, this is a sure sign that I have #lincolnparkproblems . I feel like my constant Starbucks supply has been cut off and I’m sitting dying a slow addiction death. What do they put in those fraps anyway?